Monday, January 17, 2011

Purchasing power shifting

Several years ago in 1997 I worked as a yellow pages account executive in Dallas, Tx. At the time there was talk of the Hispanic buying power in the Dallas/Ft.Worth being at 10 Billion dollars. I didn't take it too seriously at the time but felt that I could use the information to obtain clients to advertise in my little Spanish publication. It worked in that I made a few sales to companies wanting to reach that market. I went on to work in an advertising agency and still worked in targeting the Spanish market. Being bilingual I also sold to clients wanting to target the English market. I continued acquiring clients and little by little lost interest in the Spanish market. Clients also spend after begging all day long, 25% percent of their ad budget in this segment so I thought, this was not worth my time and energy. Well when the economy in the new millenium took it's toll on many companies I still continued to sell advertising and worked as an actor and voiceover talent. I took pride in the fact that I was bilingual but more proud of being an American than a Mexican American after all I had three military brothers in the Army and US Marines. I took a hit just like any other American. I had to do some things and one of the things I did thanks to God was go back and research the Hispanic buying power. Wow was I humbled. I found that in 2009, the Hispanic buying power was growing at a rate of 2 to 1 compared to non-Hispanics. I found out that it was reaching some serious numbers and was more like the "T" word meaning a trillion dollars in 2010!!!! I felt so stupid. Like I needed to be reminded once again of the fact that God gave me less brains that a few people. I am not making this mistake again. I'm looking for companies again that want to reach this lucrative market. So go get a piece of the pie. Oh and you know what else? I know how they think because I'm one of those too!!! So if you need a commercial or a voiceover recording I can help you. Check out my website at http://www.spanishvoicetalentpro.com/ . Gracias!

No comments:

Post a Comment